Who pays for OT services?

In Ontario, occupational therapy services are covered, in whole or in part, by both public and private health care systems. Here are the many ways OT services are funded in Ontario:

  • OHIP – The Ontario Health Insurance Plan covers OT when it is provided through hospitals and rehabilitation centres, Family Health Teams, Assertive Community Treatment Teams, Community Health Centres, and Local Health Integration Networks (LHIN) that provide access to OT for eligible clients in their homes, schools, or long-term care facilities.
  • Automobile insurance – People hurt in motor vehicle accidents in Ontario may access OT services funded by auto insurance policies.
  • Extended health insurance – Some extended health insurance plans pay for OT services, usually up to a maximum amount. If your health insurance policy does not cover OT services, you can send a letter to your employer or your insurance company requesting OT coverage on your plan. Download a sample letter of request: Letter to my employer | Letter to my insurance company
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board – Workers injured on the job or who come down with a work-related illness may be covered for OT.
  • Veteran Affairs Canada – Canadians who have served in the Canadian Forces, navy, army, or air force may be eligible for funding of OT services.
  • Fee for Service – Clients may choose to pay themselves for OT services not covered by a public or private plan.

Find an OT today

OTs can make a big difference in your life, whether you need help managing at home, school, work, in hospital or out in the community. Find an OT in Ontario or contact the Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists by calling 1-877-676-6768 or sending an email.